In one day, I'll be starting a new passage in my life - having graduated from my fine alma mater with a degree in English/Creative Writing, I've taken my leave of academia (at least for now) and turned to agriculture. I've taken a position as an apprentice on an impressively large organic farm in south-central PA. In many ways, it's the most ideal situation I could have after the intellectual burnout and stress of college. There's something about working with the land and feeling the earth living around me that awakens my mind and inspiration like nothing else. It's a return to something I know well, with my many years of helping on our family farm, and yet I know that I will be learning and gaining new skills everyday.
The challenge of a new situation and untested waters is certainly exciting, but at the same time, I have a case of the nerves. Rather than preparing us for the "real world," I often think that Wellesley coddled its students too much. Everything was laid out for us, simply, and sometimes with more instructions and rules and guidance that we wanted. In stark contrast, my contact at the farm seemed so relaxed (read : normal) that I didn't know what to do. No packing list? No schedule? No online survey, mailing list, or itinerary for my day of arrival? Well... huh. I'm arriving at my place of work tomorrow at a time I decided. I've packed what I want, not what I was told to, and I don't know what I'm going to do when I get there, but I'll (probably) be alright. Am I nervous? You bet. But this summer will be what I make of it - and I'm going to ensure it's great.
Wish me luck!
~E
No comments:
Post a Comment